Thursday, August 18, 2011

Harvest 2011 Has Begun


Sweet Basil, Thai Basil and Sage
I am never able to find a good tomato at the supermarket or produce store.  They are all hard and lack good taste.  Except for the grape tomatoes.  I love them and eat them like candy.  In order to get a good ripe tomato, you must grow them yourself.

For years I have been without a vegetable garden.  I didn't seem to have time for it.  I was working a 40 hour week plus our family owned and operated a seasonal snack bar at a driving range/miniature golf/executive golf course from 2000 through 2007. You know, just when planting season rolled around the business needed to be opened.  Go figure,  Now that I am old, (just turned 60 in June) and only working 39 hours a week, I have plenty of time for a vegetable patch.

Over the 18 years we have been at this present house in the suburbs, I have moved my beds from place to place around my property.  The last few locations were not successful.  The vegetable beds were neglected because of their location, which was out of sight from my windows nor did I have the soaker hose system.  This year I located a 4'  x 4' square foot garden just past my patio in plain sight from my 8' sliding glass door.

Here is some of my bounty.  They ripened on the vine, too.  Did I say I love tomatoes?

Tomatoes(Sweet Millions, Mr. Stripey and Delicious) and Thai Chiles


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.