Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Grape Tomatoes 23 July 2012

I haven't spent much time in the garden because of the heat. Fifteen of the twenty-three days in July have been over 90ºF/32ºC. I worked outdoors for 34 years and I really don't want to go into the hot sun anymore than need be.

weather underground
I watered when needed but I haven't done much more than that.


I have been harvesting. Lettuce is all gone, several varieties of tomatoes, one cayenne pepper and two potatoes.


All the tomatoes are delicious. The cayenne wasn't as hot I it might be, but it was green. It had fallen off the plant when I took up the soaking hose and put down a new piece. The old hose sprung several holes which gushed water and the plot was not evenly watered because of it. The lettuce was great and the potatoes super.


To get the potatoes I just reached into the tower where a potato stem was growing, dug around until I felt a spud and brought it out. The potatoes were small, one the size of a golf ball.


Super Sweet

There are three grape/cherry tomato varieties, Chocolate Cherry, Husky Cherry and Super Sweet. So far, of the three I like Super Sweet the best. The skin on the Husky is too thick as was the skin on the Chocolate Cherry. They were the first of the season and I will give you my overall favorite at the end of the season.

The Super Sweet vine has really taken off and I had to tie it to the remesh I attached to the square foot plot support for the cucumbers and watermelon. It has grown quite long.


I hope the heat goes down below 90ºF for the remainder of the season. I really can't take the heat.


©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved







No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.