Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Waited Nine Months for Homegrown Tomato


The first two full size tomatoes ripened 6 July. Both were the Mortgage Lifter variety. Transplanted commercially started plants on April 20, the earliest I have ever placed tomatoes outdoors.



Not quite a handful, this tomato weighed in at 209g/.46lb. 



The shoulders still had a touch of green in them. It was firm. Could have used a bit more ripening. I was impatient. No surprise there.



Sliced they appear dense with very few seeds. There won't be much dribbling down the chin with this tomato on top of a sandwich or burger.

I have waited almost 9 months for any kind of home grown tomato. I really appreciate them. Those pale or tasteless store bought cannot compare to any homegrown tomatoes. I will miss them when they are gone. The time to savor them is now.

©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved







2 comments:

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.