Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Depth of Field at the Garden Shop


During my lunch hour the other day, I stopped by the garden section of my local home improvement store.  I just happened to have my camera with me.

Below are a few examples of how the relationship between lens focal length and aperture relate to depth of field.

Colorful tomato cages 200mm @ f/13
I changed the focus from the yellow to the blue cages and lowered angle a bit.  The yellow and red cages seem to be in focus less than when the camera was focused on the yellow cages.  You will need to look into hyperfocus.
200mm @ f/13

At a long focal length, 200mm, the depth of field is shallow even at a rather small aperture, f/13.


I used a shorter focal length here, 42mm @ f/4.4


Here the aperture is close to wide open, f/4.4, the depth of field is greater then the above two photographs because of the shorter focal length.


Pelargonium 135mm @ f/22

Here again, long focal length decreases the depth of field.

Try some test images on your own camera.



©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.