The overnight soaking of the thistle sock in tea was not successful. The next morning I drained the tea/vinegar mixture from the bowl. I decided to try coffee as a stain. I keep used coffee grounds to add to the garden plants for both nitrogen and to lower the pH. I am add them to the soil surrounding my lacecape hydrangea and a rhododendron.
A few days later, I took the stained sock from the clothes line and brought it into the house. I purchased some thistle seeds and proceeded to fill the stained sock using a wide throated funnel. Once the sock was full of seed I pulled the draw string tight to close the opening and began to tie an overhand knot. I wanted the sock itself to be part of the knot. I overfilled the sock, slightly, and I was having a difficult time rolling the knot to include the sock. I realized I too much force when the draw string broke and withdrew from the tunnel sown into the top of the sock. So much for staining the sock. I emptied the newer sock, because the goldfinch had stopped eating from it, and used the funnel to fill it. I used less power to tie the sock and hung it on the post. I will need to fish a new drawstring into the tunnel of the stained sock and try again. I really wanted the stained sock full but at least the goldfinch will be attracted by the full sock hanging on the post until I get the other fixed. If I ever get the stained sock fixed.