Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Action Photography - Muscles

Muscle definition is intriguing. Photographing muscles in action on fit bodies, that's what I'm talking about.



I believe my interest was stirred by viewing photographs of people in motion captured in the late 19th century by Eadweard Muybridge. Muybridge started by photographing a horse in motion to settle a bet as to whether all four hooves of a galloping horse were ever off the ground at the same time. 



He later used the same techniques to photograph people in motion. Muybridge's system of cameras, often numbering 50, is very impressive. His inventions, including a projection system for the series of photographs, led to the refinement of motion pictures.


With these images in my head, I stumbled across an amateur grass court tennis tournament. People with their bodies in motion, flexing their muscles. Here was a chance to capture some muscles in action.


The courts were visible from the road with only an iron fence between the public and the players. I stopped and stayed about an hour. Below are my attempts to capture some muscles in motion. 

One of the situations to overcome was isolating one player.



Figures in the background are distracting

No two players muscles were alike

Each had a different style

The leaner the physique the more pronounced the muscle


Timing. Anticipation.

Most servers left the ground

Of course facial expression is interesting, too.

Not everyone was in motion. I will have spectators next time.

©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.