Thursday, July 25, 2013

Veggie Magic in a Bottle


Source:http://pickleinabottle.com/gallery.html
Have you ever seen the cucumber in the bottle magic trick?

I was a child when my dad showed me a cucumber in an old glass milk bottle. I was dumbstruck. How did that thick cucumber get through that narrow neck? I never did figure it out on my own.

It is time to pass on that mysterious veggie in a bottle trick. I will show you how it is done. If you prepare now you, too, can accomplish this before the end of the growing season.



You will need a few items before you begin. If you are growing cucumbers vertically you will need a bottle(s), wire and wire cutters. If growing on the ground just a bottle.



Choose a tiny to small size cucumber as a target. As it grows, the cuke will need to be directed into the opening of the bottle.



Cut some lengths of wire. Each length needs to be long enough to circumvent the bottle, the support structure and still have enough to twist the ends together. Once you have that length calculated, add more for later fine adjustments.

As you can see from the photograph above the cuke is a small distance from the bottle. Adjustments in bottle position will be made as the cuke grows. That is were the extra wire will be needed.


Don't limit yourself to one size and shape bottle. I will also be using a 1.75l gin bottle. I am sure the results of one or the other will be to my liking.



Don't limit yourself to one vegetable either. This can be done with any growing fruit or vegetable. Think of the possibilities- apples, pears, peaches, tomatoes, squash, watermelons, pumpkins. Get out and have some old fashion fun in your garden.

©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved



Made on a Mac


2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if there are any tricks so that the cucumber doesn't rot in the bottle before it is ready to pick. I have 2 failed attempts this year and I am trying to enter this in a contest in 2 weeks....any advice as to when I should begin growing it and keep the cucumber healthy? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep rain out of the container and the sun off the container. Each will contribute to the cucumber's demise.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.