Saturday, March 26, 2011

Damyon? Call me Dan!

I have always thought that because my mother spelled my name, Damian, incorrectly as Damyon, I was the only one in the world with that spelling.  Wrong.  It wasn't until just recently that I googled Damyon.  There must have been many mothers not knowing how to spell it, or they chose to spell it differently on purpose or my mother started a trend.


Throughout my life my name has been mispronounced even though it is spelled phonetically.  Many people seeing my name automatically know how to pronounce it, wrongly.  They see Damon, Dam E on, Daymon and Damn yon, with a very infrequent Damien with a French accent.  After it is pronounced incorrectly, most times, I decide to not explain how to pronounce my name.  It seemed to be counter productive because, taken as an average over the many years of my life, people just continue to mispronounce it the way they they did the first time.  Just call me Dan.


This whole situation with my name helped form my personality, somewhat schizophrenic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.