Thursday, March 24, 2011

Working

I was never a boy scout, but did serve as a cub scout den leader for two years, one year for each of my sons.  The one idea that resonated with me was that everyone should do their best.  That has always been part of my work ethic.  If you are going to do a job, do it well, is another.  However, if more than one person is given the same job there may be two different potentials and many of us are always expected to perform better and more than another.  A question of fairness there.


I worked with someone who if assigned a task he didn't like and never wanted to be assigned, would perform the task ineptly and incompletely.  Because of his results, he was never assigned that task again.  I guess he decided that he wasn't going to do the job, so he didn't do it well.  Would he have been a good scout?  He did his best to not ever be assigned that task again, no?  Tragically, within two years of our association at work, he committed suicide over a women.  That was one job he did well.  He was never assigned that job again.  Fair enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.