Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Overwintering Birds

Now that the gold finch are gone for the winter, I miss the sight of birds near my breakfast room window.  Since the equinox, early mornings have been close to silent; no songbirds singing.  Most of the songbirds have migrated south.  I still hear the calls of cardinals, cat birds, blue jays, and the occasional kveer of a Northern Flicker, but I don't hear singing.  The windows will be closed for the winter and I won't be able to hear much of the birds anyway.  I will be delighted enough to see the colors and antics of the overwintering birds through my closed windows.
Available at Lowe's item #335583



  In order to attract the overwintering birds to my window, I'm thinking I will purchase a new feeder.  A feeder that will dispense hulled sunflower seeds.  I don't like to use the whole sunflower seeds because I end up tracking the hulls indoors.  Sunflower seeds will feed chickadees, nuthatches, cardinals, jays, titmice, woodpeckers and other birds that stay the winter.  It goes without saying, the design of the feeder and its suspension system will need to be squirrel proof.  They are a challenge.  Squirrels are smart and tenacious as seen here on YouTube.


I thought of making such a feeder.  Upon deeper thinking, I decided to buy one.  



©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.