Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Taste of Philadelphia In Cleethorpes?




             
© Owen Dunn

© Owen Dunn
My son, who was staying at my daughter's in-laws' house, wanted to visit The University of York.  He was to take the train from Cleethorpes and meet us later in London.  When the car arrived my daughter stayed with my wife while the guys drove to the train station.  The train station is along the road next to the sea.  The station looked as though it had a facelift in the recent past and was looking good.



  
 Source:Frith Collection





Also along that road was a group of buildings that seemed to be underutilized.  They may be the very same buildings in the 1955 photograph to the left.  Inside there was one large room that looked as though a flea market was operating.  Driving past these buildings I remarked to my son-in-law,"What they need here is some good Philadelphia food: steak sandwiches, hoagies, hot roast pork, hot roast beef, soft pretzels, funnel cakes and hot dogs."  



                         
Source:DoWopUSA
Source:DoWopDiner

Make it look like the Wildwood boardwalk in South Jersey.": that is New Jersey, USA.  My son-in-law, having visited us several times before marrying my daughter, agreed.  He thought that would be a real winner.  At least street food of Philadelphia.

Pat's King of Steaks, South Philadelphia
Geno's Steaks, South Philadelphia
I am ready for a change.  All I need now is an angel with the money.  Pat's, Gino's and Tony Luke's eat your hearts out.  Cleethorpes get ready for a taste of Philadelphia.


©Damyon T. Verbo - all rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment. I won't bite your head off.